Last Updated: [April 15, 2020].
Savvy makes applying to rent a home faster, cheaper and more reliable by using technology to connect renters with landlords (or their property or leasing managers).
We help renters gather their application information, including financial details, directly from their bank account, and create a “renter passport.” Renters direct us to seamlessly share their information with landlords of properties in which renters are interested.
For property managers, Savvy replaces a cumbersome information gathering process with a simple, fast end-to-end renter application solution, including a dashboard that displays the information renters gather through Savvy and reports that landlords obtain from their vendors, such as consumer reporting agencies.
Personal Information We Collect
Sources of information. We collect personal information from the following sources:
- Directly from individuals, including renters, landlords and website visitors
- Banks and other financial institutions that renters choose to link to their Savvy account
- From third parties, as directed by landlords, such as consumer reporting agencies and background check providers
Types of information. We may collect the following types of information:
- Contact data, such as first and last name, phone number, email address, and current mailing address.
- Account information, such as username and password.
- Demographic information, such as birthdate and any additional biographical information renters choose to provide in their rental application.
- Government-issued ID, such as a Social Security Number, national passport, state driver’s license, or other government issued ID, including an image of the relevant identification card provided by the Renter.
- Financial information, such as banking history, credit information, income details, W-2 and other details renters may include in their Savvy “renter passport,” and consumer reports that renters authorize landlords to obtain in connection with a rental application, income details.
- When you connect your bank or other financial account to Savvy, our access to that account ends once we pull your data into your application, unless you choose to establish a “renter passport” to save your information for future rental applications.
- Employment information, such as the renter’s employer name, website, address, email, and phone number.
- Rental history, such as whether or not a renter has ever been evicted, lost a portion of a deposit due to damaged property, been convicted of a felony or indictable offence, declared bankruptcy, paid rent on time and in full each month, when rent is currently due each month, and if a Renter currently owes a landlord money.
- Other details, such as whether the renter will have roommates or has pets, or other information that may be relevant to a rental application.
- Device data, such as information about your computer or mobile device operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model, device identifier, browser type, screen resolution, IP address, and general location information such as city, state or geographic area.
- Online activity data, such as information about your use of and actions on the Sites, including the pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, the website you visited before browsing to our Sites, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and length of access. When we send you an email, we use technology to determine your response to the email, such as whether you opened our email, how long you had it open, and the links on which you clicked within the email.
We, our service providers and advertising partners may collect this type of information over time and across third-party websites. On our webpages, this information is collected using cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
Web browsers may offer users of our Sites the ability to disable receiving certain types of cookies; however, if cookies are disabled, some features or functionality of our websites may not function correctly.
How We Use Personal Information
Operations. We use personal information to operate the Services, including to:
- provide, maintain and improve the Services
- establish and maintain user accounts
- facilitate user login to the Services
- provide Renter application information to the Landlord of the property that the Renter is applying to
- process application payments
- facilitate your participation in any sweepstakes, contests, or special offers sponsored by one of our partners or selected third parties
- enable security features of the Services, such as by sending you security codes via email or SMS, and remembering devices from which have previously logged in
- communicate with you about the Services, including by sending you announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages from Savvy and its affiliates
- understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the Service and our communications
- provide support and maintenance for the Service
- to respond to your requests, questions and feedback
Marketing. We may send you Savvy-related marketing communications as permitted by law. You will have the ability to opt-out of our marketing and promotional communications as described in the Opt out of marketing section below.
Advertising. We work with advertising partners to display advertisements on the Sites or elsewhere online. These advertisements are delivered by our advertising partners and may be targeted based on your use of the Services or your activity elsewhere online. To learn more about your choices in connection with targeted advertisements, please see the section below titled “Targeted online advertising.”
Research and development. We analyze use of the Services to analyze and improve the Services and to develop new products and services, including by studying user demographics and use of the Services.
To comply with law. We use personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
For compliance, fraud prevention, and safety. We may use personal information and disclose it to law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties as we believe necessary or appropriate to: (a) protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims); (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Services; and (c) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
How We Share Personal Information
We may share personal information in the following ways:
Landlords. Through using our Services, renters direct Savvy to disclose the information in their rental application to landlords, management companies, or leasing agents of the properties in which the renters are interested.
Advertising partners. When we use third-party cookies and other tracking tools, our advertising partners may collect information from your device to help us analyze use of the Services, display advertisements on Sites and elsewhere online.
Professional advisors. We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
For compliance, fraud prevention and safety. We may share your personal information for the compliance, fraud prevention and safety purposes described above.
Business transfers. We may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our business or assets, including your personal information, in connection with a business transaction (or potential business transaction) such as a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy or dissolution.
In this section, we describe the rights and choices that may be available to users of our Sites and Services.
Access or update your information. If you have registered for an account with us, you may review and update certain personal information in your account profile by logging into the account.
Opt out of marketing communications. You may opt out of marketing-related emails by following the opt-out or unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may continue to receive service-related and other non-marketing emails.
Targeted online advertising. Some of the business partners that collect information about users’ activities on or through the Services may be members of organizations or programs that provide choices to individuals regarding the use of their browsing behavior or mobile application usage for purposes of targeted advertising.
Users may opt out of receiving targeted advertising on websites through members of the Network Advertising Initiative by clicking here or the Digital Advertising Alliance by clicking here. Please note that we also may work with companies that offer their own opt-out mechanisms and may not participate in the opt-out mechanisms that we linked above. In addition, your mobile device settings may provide functionality to limit our, or our partners’, ability to engage in ad tracking or targeted advertising using the Google Advertising ID or Apple ID for Advertising associated with your mobile device.
If you choose to opt-out of targeted advertisements, you will still see advertisements online but they may not be relevant to you. Even if you do choose to opt out, not all companies that serve online behavioral advertising are included in this list, so you may still receive some cookies and tailored advertisements from companies that are not listed.
Do-Not-Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit https://allaboutdnt.com.
Other Sites, Mobile Applications and Services
The security of your personal information is important to us. We employ a number of organizational, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information we collect. However, security risk is inherent in all internet and information technologies and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
The Service is not directed to, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from, anyone under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should contact us. We will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably practicable. We encourage parents with concerns to contact us at email@example.com.
How to Contact Us